Wigan Athletic have turned down a bid for reported Rangers target Kyle Joseph, according to a leading journalist.
Rangers have been linked with a pre-contract move for the Scotland U19 international but are said to face competition from Celtic, Blackpool and even Tottenham Hotspur.
Now journalist Alan Nixon has claimed that the Latics have rejected an approach for the player but he isn’t clear which club made the move for the striker.
Wigan. Joseph approach has been turned down. Next …
— Alan Nixon (@reluctantnicko) January 21, 2021
However, a local BBC journalist has claimed that a “substantial offer” was made for Joseph by Championship Barnsley.
Interestingly, Barnsley are considered a local rival of Wigan and it’s not clear if this has factored into the club’s decision-making.
Rangers are said to be interested in a pre-contract deal for the 19-year-old forward who has netted five goals and laid on one assist in 14 matches with the DW Stadium club this season.
Rangers were said to have been outbid for the player by League One Blackpool but this was talked down by Bloomfield Road manager Neil Critchley.
According to Critchley, Rangers are one of a number of “bigger clubs” chasing Joseph as he talked down reports of a Blackpool offer [Blackpool Gazette].
So far there has only been one player linked to Rangers which has been confirmed by the club – and as it stands there have no developments regarding that deal in the press.