Gers have bid rejected but second January signing “only a matter of time” claims journalist
Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

Rangers bid rejected but second January deal “only a matter of time”

John Souttar moving to Rangers this January appears “only a matter of time” according to a leading journalist as Hearts boss Robbie Neilson urges the Ibrox club to put up or shut up.

Rangers have already agreed a pre-contract deal for the Scotland international centre-back and reports emerged ahead of the weekend that the Gers wanted to bring the deal forward.

https://twitter.com/BarryAnderson_/status/1484856822204932103

Scottish football journalist Barry Anderson also took to Twitter to claim that the deal appears an inevitability with talks “progressing” between both clubs.

Biggest STAR Your Club Are Trying To SIGN This Month

But this was before John Souttar was dropped for Hearts’ 5-0 Scottish Cup win over Auchinleck Talbot with Jambos boss Robbie Neilson confirming the club had rejected a Rangers bid come full-time.

According to the Edinburgh Evening News, Rangers offered Hearts £300k to sign John Souttar this month.

Speaking as the Edinburgh club breezed through to the competition’s fifth round, Neilson has reiterated Hearts’ position that John Souttar won’t be sold to Rangers on the cheap with a shot at third place and Europa League football in the balance.

The Jambos boss also claimed that Souttar’s absence was injury related and not concerned with the bid from Ibrox, with the defender in line to face Celtic at Tynecastle on Wednesday night.

“We’ve had a bid in, which has been knocked out the ballpark, so we will wait and see if anything else comes in,” said Robbie Neilson.

“We value John very, very highly and if anyone is going to take him in this window, they are going to need to pay for him because we are aiming for the Scottish Cup and European football and we need to keep our best players.

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

“John had a problem with his ankle after the game the other night. I know everybody thinks it is to do with what is happening, but it was on his Achilles and we felt there was no point in bringing him down here. He will be available for Wednesday – until things change.”

Rangers looking to bolster squad with January deal for Hearts star John Souttar

So far Rangers have added only American international James Sands to the club’s ranks this January and fans are eager to see the squad bolstered ahead of a title push.

The Gers’ backline was stretched heading into the winter break with the likes of Leon Balogun and Filip Helander out injured and the jury still out on ex-Bournemouth defender Jack Simpson.

John Souttar has been one of the players of the season so far – and not just in a Hearts context – and it would be a sizable boost to see the 25-year-old come through the doors at Rangers this month.

With boos ringing out on his latest appearance at Tynecastle, Hearts shouldn’t be surprised that John Souttar will want to move to Rangers this month either.

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

But with a potential automatic Europa League Group Stage qualification bounty hanging over Tynecastle, Edinburgh and the chasers for 3rd place Hearts are clearly holding firm.

As things stand – and dependent on who lifts the Scottish Cup – the team who finishes 3rd in the Premiership could earn automatic Europa League group stage qualification.

It makes these last few days of the transfer window very interesting indeed with Rangers looking to add more quality to support the club’s title challenge this season.

Speaking of reported Rangers transfer interest, both the Ibrox club and Premier League Champions Manchester City are said to have their eyes on a “prodigious talent”.

LOGIN to Comment
LOGIN to Comment