The Colombian striker has been the subject of intense transfer speculation all summer long with Ligue 1 outfit Lille reportedly having a £16.25m bid rejected earlier in the window [Daily Mail].
Rangers were said to be holding out for closer to £20m for the South American hitman but the French side are said to have pulled out due to FFP restrictions.
The Athletic believes there is “no prospect” of the player leaving and believe that clubs are not willing to commit to a fee of over £15m “with budgets tight across Europe”.
Local paper the Glasgow Times have also claimed that the player is “highly unlikely” to leave the club before the close of play today.
However, the Athletic back up reports from Get French Football News that the French side are not expected to follow up that interest with another bid as things stand.
The reputable French newspaper outlet had previously claimed that Lille were planning for no major incomings as the window comes to a close across Europe.
Incomings situation at Ligue 1's major clubs:
– PSG: only want deals on loan with option
– Marseille: won't make more signings without sales
– Lyon: a winger aside (to replace B.Traoré), 1 out 1 in
– Lille: no major incomings planned
– Rennes: CB, LB & winger due to be signed
— Get French Football News (@GFFN) September 26, 2020
The news will come as a relief to Rangers fans with an on-form Morelos a vital part of the club’s plans this season.
Morelos netted 29 goals in the last campaign and has five in eleven Rangers matches so far this season.