Opposition figure rejoices at controversial ruling involving Rangers
Photo by Ewan Bootman/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Hibernian coach addresses controversial SFA ruling involving Rangers

Hibernian assistant head coach, John Potter, has spoken out following the controversial SFA ruling on a touchline incident during a Premiership clash between Rangers and Hibs in December, as quoted by the Daily Record.

Staff from both clubs were involved in heated exchanges on the Easter Road touchline after a horror tackle from Ryan Porteous on Borna Barisic an hour into the Gers’ 3-0 win.

Hibernian defender Porteous picked up a red card for his challenge on Rangers star Barisic before the SFA punished coaches for their reactions.
(Photo by Ewan Bootman/NurPhoto via Getty Images)


A month and a half later, the governing body decided to ban Rangers coach Tom Culshaw for two matches (one of which suspended) but let Potter off with a mere censure.

Plenty of Bears were incensed by both that ruling and the decision to hand Michael Beale a five-match ban (two of which suspended) for a separate incident at Parkhead later in the month.

Unsurprisingly, though, Potter rejoiced at the verdict.

“On the night my behaviour could have been better, I admitted that, but I was just trying to look after our players and our staff,” he said, as quoted by the Daily Record.

“I didn’t make any first moves, it was Rangers who did that. We went up and told our side of the story and I am delighted to still be on the touchline.”

Ex-Liverpool Academy coach Culshaw picked up a ban. (Photo by Nick Taylor/Liverpool FC/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)


The Hibs coach’s delight at the verdict is hardly likely to make those connected with Rangers feel any better about the decision.

He points to attempting to protect his players, but while the exact details of what was said on the touchline are unknown, it’s likely that Culshaw would point to the same motives behind his reaction.

After all, Barisic’s safety had just been endangered by a reckless lunge.

At least, from Culshaw’s point of view, his punishment has already been served. He sat alongside Beale in the stands during the 4-1 Scottish Cup victory away at Hamilton on Saturday and is free to return to the dugout against Kilmarnock on Wednesday night.

Beale, on the other hand, will be in the stands at Rugby Park, and won’t return to the touchline until the Europa League clash with Braga on 20th February.

LOGIN to Comment
LOGIN to Comment