The announcement of a new contract for a key Rangers player is imminent, according to commentator Clive Tyldesley.
Tyldesley was on duty at Ibrox over the weekend, working for RangersTV on the club’s final pre-season friendlies against Brighton and Real Madrid.
It was in the early stages of the latter fixture that he dropped his big claim.
That Connor Goldson has agreed to a new contract.
“The rumours are becoming more true, that Goldson has an agreement in principle,” he said [RangersTV 18:05]. “An announcement is likely to come in the next few days.”
Tyldesley’s update follows significant speculation about the centre-back, whose current deal expires next summer.
The Daily Record had reported the previous day [Saturday] that the 28-year-old had agreed to ‘extend his Rangers stay by three years’.
It’s highly unlikely that Tyldesley would come out with such a claim on commentary if he hadn’t been told the information directly by someone at the club and it backs up what had already been asserted in the media.
Should an announcement arrive in the coming days, it’ll be a hugely popular one with Rangers fans.
Goldson was truly outstanding last season, playing every single minute of the Gers’ 56 matches across all competitions, contributing to a plethora of clean sheets and scoring an impressive eight goals.
The centre-back was key to 55 and to the Light Blues’ European run and it would be extremely difficult to replace his quality and consistency on Rangers’ current budget.
An extension wouldn’t guarantee him remaining at Ibrox for multiple seasons but it would at least put the Gers in a strong position if bids land from other clubs in future windows.
Meanwhile, a player who turned out with Goldson against Real Madrid is reportedly being targeted right now by an English club.