Ex-Rangers hero fumes at "not true" coverage of £20m exit claims
25 Oct 1997: Dundee Utd goalkeeper Sieb Dykstra (centre) confronts Marco Negri of Rangers during a Scottish Premier League match at Tannadice Park in Dundee, Scotland. Dundee United won the match 2-1. Mandatory Credit: Clive Brunskill/Allsport

Ex-Rangers hero fumes at "not true" coverage of £20m exit claims

Ex-Rangers hero Marco Negri has been left fuming after newspaper coverage of an interview with a Sunday newspaper was allegedly taken out of context.

The Italian striker was speaking to the Sunday Post about the future of Alfredo Morelos, who has been linked with a move to Serie A club Lazio.

Whilst Negri did say he believes Morelos’ “experience at Rangers is ending” he did not say he “urged” the striker to move from Ibrox.

Here’s what Negri said concerning Rangers striker Morelos and those links to Napoli:

“Morelos is a young man who has already done very well,” said the now 49-year-old Negri [Sunday Post].

“He has great physical strength – an advantage when you are playing in Scotland where the defenders can be very tough – and an excellent ability to turn chances into goals.

“His scoring ratio is very high and, while numbers are not everything in football, they do count.

“They will have been carefully analysed by a lot of clubs and, because his numbers are so good, I think Morelos’ experience at Rangers is ending.

“He will probably change clubs and I’d like to see him in Italy. Lazio can be the right team for him.

“Why? Because I believe Simone Inzaghi is an excellent coach. We have already seen the work he has done on Felipe Caicedo.”

Whilst Negri is quite right in saying that he didn’t urge Morelos to go anywhere, the ex-Perugia striker’s comments regarding the wee man future’s are ominous nonetheless.

Whilst ex-Rangers hero Negri doesn’t necessarily want Morelos to leave, he does believe it’s looking increasingly likely. (Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images)

Morelos has been linked with a host of clubs – as per always in the transfer window – but so far none of this reported interest has materialised.

Lazio were linked with a £20m for the striker by ItaSportPress as the Roman club look to secure greater strength in depth behind Ciro Immobile.