Rangers fell to a disappointing 2-1 defeat to Hibs at Ibrox on Saturday. The game was an entertaining one, with both sides having large spells of dominance and good football. However, as is often the case, it was decided by a huge mistake which cost Rangers at least a point.

Rangers started with the side which played against Aberdeen and Ross County. Hibs had a number of injuries in defence, so had to start in a 3-5-1-1 formation, with players like Stevenson, Boyle and Barker filling roles not entirely suited to their game.

The match started in a frantic nature. Within the first couple of minutes, Murphy almost created a chance for himself through determined play, but the ball just broke clear as he looked set to shoot. A few minutes later, a great ball from Candeias sent Windass through, but a heavy touch meant the keeper could come out and gather the ball.

After only six minutes, Hibs lost Barker to injury and replaced him with MacLaren. It was a change which was to prove influential in the first half.

Hibs created a great chance for MacLaren to open the scoring, but a last-ditch tackle from Tavernier meant his shot was easily saved by Foderingham. Space was being found by Hibs on the Rangers left, and just minutes later Kamberi took advantage of that to square to MacLaren at the back post. The striker found the net, but the offside flag denied him the goal.

Rangers then created their best chance of the first half. Windass was sent through on goal, and looked to have the time and space to place the ball past the keeper. His finish was poor, and the save came back out to Morelos. The forward found Murphy in the box, who seemed to have an even better chance to score. Again, the shot wasn’t good enough, and was easily saved by Marciano.

The Hibs system meant that the defenders were occupied by the two strikers, and Scott Allan was finding a lot of space in midfield. It meant that Hibs had the better of the midfield battle in the first half. From this, Hibs created a great chance for Kamberi, but much like the Windass chance, he was unable to get a good connection on the shot.

The only other chance Rangers created in the first half fell to Morelos. A great ball from Windass found Candeias making a run across the box. He squared the ball to Morelos, but the striker seemed to hesitate, and his eventual shot was blocked.

Then, with 41 minutes on the clock, Hibs opened the scoring. Daniel Candeias fought to win the ball in midfield, but a bad bounce meant that McGinn was able to break clear. He ran 30 yards without being challenged before striking a low shot into the far corner from 25 yards.

It was clear at half time that Rangers would have to do something to change the pattern of the game. Within a minute, it seemed like that was happening. Good work from John and Murphy on the left led to a great cross from the ex-Brighton wide man. Candeias met it with his head excellently, and Marciano managed to get fingertips to it and put it over the bar.

Rangers won a dangerous free kick after some good play by Murphy. Goss put it just over the bar, but it was a sign of what was to come.

Chances were spurned as Rangers piled on the pressure, clearly on top in the match. A good cross from Murphy was just a little too high for Morelos, and his header went wide. A Tavernier free kick was put into the net by Morelos, but the linesman had his flag up. It’s unclear whether that was for offside, or for a foul in the box.

Murty made the changes many fans were looking for when he replaced Holt and Candeias with Docherty and Cummings on the 71st minute. Rangers got the goal their play deserved just 2 minutes later. Windass won a free kick just outside the box. Goss stepped up again, and this time his shot hit the bar, came down, and went in off the keeper.

Ibrox was rocking, the players were performing well, and it looked like the rest of the game was going to be entertaining. Sadly, almost straight from kick off, Rangers sold the points. Hibs got forward, and it looked like Rangers were going to defend the situation as Scott Allan was going away from goal under pressure. However, Tavernier pushed the player in an attempt to win the ball, a very poor decision that was instantly punished with the award of a penalty. MacLaren stepped up for Hibs and scored, hitting the ball low and hard centrally. The touch off Foderingham’s legs wasn’t enough to keep the ball out.

Rangers applied plenty of pressure from there, but just couldn’t fashion a clear chance. Bates missed a good chance from a corner, and Martin had a shot blocked late on. Hibs were able to defend the lead and take the points.

It was a missed opportunity from Rangers after some really good work to turn around the deficit at half time. The players were disappointed, and fans somewhat angered. However, it was a good game of football, and there were some positives in the second half which will be overlooked due to the result.


Foderingham, Tavernier, Martin, Bates, John, Holt (Cummings, 71), Goss, Candeias (Docherty, 71), Windass, Murphy, Morelos.

SUBS: Alnwick, Cardoso, Dodoo, Herrera, Hodson, Cummings, Docherty.


Marciano, Bartley, McGinn, McGeouch, Stevenson, Boyle, Barker (MacLaren, 6 (Swanson, 90+1), Kamberi, Allan (Shaw, 78), Ambrose, Porteous.

SUBS: Bell, Swanson, Rherras, Shaw, Murray, Mackie.