Let’s rock n roll.

Today I have picked another significant event in time, and the Rangers game that follows it.

DATE: 11th September 2001

EVENT: Terrorist strikes in New York City & Washington D.C.

For readers of my generation this was our JFK moment. On Tuesday September 11th 2001, 12 terrorists backed by Usama Bin Laden, hijacked 4 aircraft shortly after take off, taking control and using them as missiles. Two of the aircraft were crashed into the North and South towers of the World Trade Center, causing the skyscrapers to collapse live on TV, with the world watching. One of the other hijacked airliners was crashed into the Pentagon in Washington D.C. The fourth plane crashed into a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, after the passengers overcame the hijackers.

The death toll from these atrocities stands at well over 2,600 and continues to rise, in the main part due to the toxic fumes so many inhaled that fateful day.

I think everybody who witnessed the attacks that Tuesday morning, knew things would change, but I like many had no idea just how much and far-reaching the impact would be.

On a personal note, if you ever find yourself in New York City, the tribute museum located at ground zero is a must, a real eye-opener at the level of destruction and heartbreaking stories of the people who lived it.

Rangers next game after the attacks was at home to Motherwell.

DATE: 16th September 2001

VENUE: Ibrox Stadium Glasgow

SCORE: 3-0 (Flo, De Boer, Caniggia)


Before the match Ibrox fell silent to remember the victims of the attacks.

Rangers, entered the game to a backdrop of threatening to withdraw from the UEFA cup, after the governing bodies ruling that the club’s tie with Anzhi Makhackala, was to be played in war torn Dagestan. Skipper Barry Ferguson had been equally vocal, by stating he would not travel there in any circumstances.

A win was vital for the Ibrox side, sitting in second place , four points behind leaders Celtic, The light blues could afford no room for error.

This would prove to be a typical Motherwell performance, sitting with ten men behind the ball at all times, even after going a goal behind. It took until 37 minutes gone in the contest for the steelmens resilience to be broken. Tore Andre Flo finding the net from a nice pass from Latapy.

After that Rangers failed to build and capitalise on their lead , and at half time introduced skipper Ferguson, from the bench, who was returning from being out injured.

Rangers persistence payed off in the 68th minute, when after Arthur Numans tenacity, he made an opening for Latapy to play in De Boer, who’s shot wrong-footed Brown and trundled over the line. Latapy put the icing on the cake in stoppage time, scoring from the spot after a handball, but by that stage all Motherwell wanted is for the game to come to an end.

The euro tie was eventually switched, with Dick Advocaat’s side running out 1-0 winners, thanks to a Bert Konterman goal.


Klos, Vidmar, Ross (Ferguson 46) , Moore, Numan, Ricksen, Konterman, McCann (Caniggia 71) , Latapy, Flo, De Boer


Brown, Forrest, Ready, Strong, Corrigan, Pearson, Martinez (Lasley 56) , Leitch (Harvey 65) , Hammell , Kelly (Adams 82), Elliot.

MOTM: Arthur Numan