Scottish FA and SPFL bosses are taking pay cuts, according to a report, as football looks to survive the Covid-19 crisis with Rangers and the remaining 41 clubs still waiting to find out the outcome of the season.

According to STV, SFA president Rod Petrie and vice-president Mike Mulraney are taking a 20% pay cut alongside SPFL chairman Murdoch McLennan while the remaining 80% will be deferred for three months.

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - SEPTEMBER 06: General view of the stadium prior to the UEFA Euro 2020 qualifier between Scotland and Russia at Hampden Park on September 06, 2019 in Glasgow, Scotland.

(Photo by Alex Morton – UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)

The remaining staff at the SPFL will take 10% cuts to their wages with some also waiving pay increases and bonuses.

Subscribe to Rangers News TV now

In addition to the reports by STV, Radio Clyde claim that Scotland boss Steve Clarke and SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell will also take 10% cuts to their wages.

 

Clubs across the planet are looking how to cut costs with no income looking likely for several months and staff wages still falling due.

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - FEBRUARY 20: General view outside the stadium prior to the UEFA Europa League round of 32 first leg match between Rangers FC and Sporting Braga at Ibrox Stadium on February 20, 2020 in Glasgow, United Kingdom.

(Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images)

Rangers have yet to make any formal comment on possible wage cuts but it seems inevitable with the club already needing to fund a shortfall through director loans.

Subscribe

With football likely to be on the shelf until August at the very earliest, there needs to be some drastic actions taken soon if football is to come through the global crisis relatively unscathed.

Have something to tell us about this article?