Rangers B have lost ground to Bonnyrigg Rose in the race for the Lowland League title, suffering a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Dalbeattie Star at Islecroft Park this afternoon.

The Light Blues made three changes from their last outing, as the Gers health with losing a number of players to international call-ups this week.

The opening stages were fairly evenly split, both sides seeing plenty of the ball as they looked to break the deadlock early on and get themselves in front.

Colombian striker Juan Alegria had a fantastic effort go just wide of the back post 20 minutes in, picking the ball up on the edge of the area before unleashing an attempt at goal that went agonisingly close.

However, it was the hosts who took the lead, Dylan Cairnie netting in 28 minutes, showing good composure to cut inside and fire home beyond Cervantes and make it 1-0.

The young Gers immediately went about trying to get themselves back on level terms, Tony Weston forcing a smart save from the Dalbeattie keeper before Charlie McCann’s free-kick sailed just over the crossbar.

Subscribe to Rangers News TV now

As the teams made their way off at the break, Rangers will have had good reason to feel disappointed at falling behind but there was plenty in the opening 45 to be positive about for David McCallum, Brian Gilmour and their players.

Rangers came close to drawing level 13 minutes after the restart, Robbie Fraser’s clever free-kick under the wall looked to be heading in before Smith got a hand to it and diverted it away from goal.


The Light Blues turned to the bench with 27 minutes left, Alegria making way for Chris McKee as Rangers continued to push for an equaliser and set themselves up for a grandstand finale.

Ross McCausland thought he’d finally managed to pull Rangers level on 65 minutes but was left wondering just what the Gers had to do to score when Dalbeattie skipper Jack Dickinson somehow managed to clear his effort off the line as the Star somehow clung on to their lead.

David McCallum made another switch, this time bringing Aaron Lyall on for the prolific Tony Weston for the final fifteen minutes or so at Islecroft Park.

The hammer blow for Rangers’ hopes of a win came eleven minutes from the end, Dalbeattie being awarded a penalty which Dean Brotherston stepped up coolly dispatched to make it 2-0 for the hosts.

Dalbeattie were reduced to ten men in the final minutes when Steven Degnan was dismissed when he brought Robbie Fraser down on the edge of the area – but the Gers couldn’t make the set piece count as the game ended in a 2-0 defat.

With Bonnyrigg Rose winning again, the result allows the Posey to increase their gap at the top of the table on their seemingly relentless march to the Lowland League title.

Rangers: Cervantes, Ritchie-Hosler, Fraser, Allen, MacKinnon, McCann, Miller, Lindsay, Weston, Alegria, McCausland.

Subs: Budinauckas, McKay, Lyall, McKee, Graham, Roberts

In other news, could Gerrard swoop for Ryan Kent in the transfer window?

Have something to tell us about this article?