Rangers B thrash Celtic in historic Old Firm as Colts blow rivals away
Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

Rangers B thrash Celtic in historic Old Firm as Colts blow rivals away

Rangers have thrashed Old Firm rivals Celtic at Ibrox this afternoon in the first-ever Lowland League meeting between the two sides, as three goals in the opening 25 minutes from Ross McCausland, Alex Lowry and Tony Weston had the Gers well out of sight.

Around 10,000 fans – a Lowland League record – turned out at a sun-drenched Ibrox for the rearranged New Year fixture and they were given plenty of reasons to cheer as Rangers dominated throughout.

It took a matter of 15 seconds for Rangers to open the scoring, Ross McCausland hitting the net as the Light Blues made an incredible start.

Celtic had actually kicked off but excellent pressing from McCausland paid dividends as he robbed the ball just outside the area before rifling the ball home.

The Gers almost made it 2-0 before the end of the first five minutes, Alex Lowry’s fantastic ball sending the Northern Irish international down the inside of Celtic’s left-back before his effort was deflected behind.

Lowry had started the game really looking to make a difference, cutting Celtic open several times in the opening exchanges with his exceptional range of passing.

The hosts were looking rampant early on and came so close to doubling their lead after eight minutes when Tony Weston rounded the Celtic keeper but was sent wide as the Parkhead side’s defence scrambled to get back and cover.

As Rangers kept the pressure up, the second goal finally came 15 minutes in, Lowry getting his name on the scoresheet with a stunning strike from distance.

The midfielder had picked the ball up near halfway and drove forward, brushing off challenges from Celtic defenders before curling the ball home from outside the box.

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

Celtic slowly started to find their way into the game a bit, having an effort or two from distance but struggling to really break down the Rangers defence and put them under any real pressure.

As the first half reached the midway stage, there had only been one team looking like making anything happen going forward and Rangers were well worth their 2-0 goal advantage.

Rangers soon put the game to bed, Tony Weston doing what he does best and scoring yet again, breaking the Celtic defensive line before sitting down the Celtic keeper and finishing well.

The English striker must be knocking on the door of the first-team as he looks to join the likes of Leon King, Alex Lowry and Charlie McCann in making his senior bow for the Gers.

With the game seemingly out of Celtic’s reach already, the intensity dropped a little when Rangers went forward but the Gers remained strong defensively as they looked to get to the break.

Five minutes before the break, Rangers came within inches of adding a fourth, Adam Devine’s toe-poke coming back off the base of the far post and bouncing away from danger.

When the teams made their way off at the break, Rangers were streets ahead of their rivals and manager David McCallum will have been as pleased as the ten thousand or so fans in the ground.

Neither side made any changes at the break but there was an immediate concern for Rangers when Kyle McClelland went down with what appeared to be an ankle injury – although it would turn out to be a problem with his GPS strap on his boot.

The Light Blues started the second 45 with plenty of energy but as the Gers pushed to get their second, Alex Lowry went down on the far side clutching his left calf – and this time it was an injury that had caused the hold-up.

After a bit of treatment, the midfielder would rejoin the fray and quickly found himself involved as McCausland won a corner.

The chances continued to come for Rangers, Devine finding himself in acres of space to get a shot away, hooking his effort wide of the keeper’s right-hand post.

The frustration started to show for Celtic, Owen Moffat booked after hauling back the ever-impressive Lowry as he tried to launch a counter.

Rangers would make their first change with just under 20 minutes to go, Weston coming off after being hit with cramp with Robbie Ure coming on to replace him.

Celtic found themselves having some more possession as the game headed towards the final whistle, having a couple of attempts at goal from distance without ever troubling Hogarth in the Rangers goal.

Aaron Lyall and Kane Ritchie-Hosler would come off the bench after 75 minutes, Ross McCausland and Alex Lowry coming off with their job well and truly done.

There was another injury scare for Rangers going into the final ten minutes, Leon King seemingly picking up a knee injury that needed some attention before the Gers would make a double switch, King and Cole McKinnon replaced by Johnly Yfelko and Charlie Lindsay for the closing stages.

After going down with nobody near him, there will be some concern for King after he limped off, although the fact he made it off without the need for a stretcher should be a slight positive.

The win sees Rangers move into second place in the Lowland League with a game in hand on their Old Firm rivals as they look to end the season as runners up to runaway champions Bonnyrigg Rose.

Rangers: Hogarth, Devine, Fraser, King, McClelland, Miller, Lowry, McKinnon, Weston, McCann, McCausland.
Subs: Cervantes, Yfeko, Lindsay, Ritchie-Hosler, Lyall, McInally, Ure

Meanwhile, Allan McGregor was featured in the SofaScore Team of the Week following his magnificent performance against Red Star.

LOGIN to Comment
LOGIN to Comment