Rangers B have kept up the pressure on Bonnyrigg Rose at the top of the Lowland League with a comfortable 3-0 win over Edinburgh University at Peffermill to maintain the gap at the top of the table at a single point.

The young Gers made four changes from the 5-0 midweek win over the University of Stirling as Aaron Cervantes, Jack Harkness, Ross McCausland and Arron Lyall came into the starting line-up with Jay Hogarth, Chris McKee, Charlie Lindsay and Kane Ritchie-Hosler all making way.

After a run of games at home, Rangers travelled to Edinburgh as heavy favourites against their capital rivals as they looked to make it seven wins from eight games in the Lowland League and strengthen their early title credentials,

Both teams found it difficult to impose themselves on the game in the early stages, but it didn’t take too long for Rangers to get themselves in front when Lewis MacKinnon netted after 20 minutes.

A short corner found its way to Charlie McCann and the midfielder made his way through the hosts’ defence before teeing up MacKinnon to fire home.

The Gers continued to pile the pressure on, almost getting their reward shortly after the 30-minute mark when the Edinburgh Uni keeper saved well from Ross McCausland after some good build-up play by David McCallum and Brian Gilmour’s side.

McCausland went close again five minutes later, working his way through the Edinburgh defence before cutting back and having an effort at goal with Leon King next to try his luck when he headed just over from a corner as Edinburgh Uni managed to cling on and get in at the break only 1-0 down.

The young Rangers side started the second 45 with plenty of energy and almost grabbed an immediate second goal when Robbie Fraser saw his effort cleared off the line by one of the hosts’ defenders, much to their relief as the Colts tried to put the game to bed quickly after the restart.

Substitutes Tony Weston and Robbie Ure almost had an instant impact on the game after the pair linked well before setting up Alex Lowry for a shot at goal, however, the midfielder’s effort was well saved by the Edinburgh keeper to deny Rangers a second.

The Gers patience finally paid off 12 minutes after the restart though when Lowry showed excellent composure to score the second goal of the afternoon and give Rangers a comfortable advantage.

Going 2-0 up wasn’t enough for the Colts though as they kept their foot on the gas and maintained the pressure on their hosts in search of a third goal, having a succession of chances in quick succession that they couldn’t convert – including one from Tony Weston that cracked the post.

With minutes remaining, Rangers made it 3-0 through Cole McKinnon after the impressive Weston created the opportunity and McKinnon headed home to add his name to the scoresheet.

Meanwhile, Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has been explaining why one of the club’s attacking players has been dropped from a major Ibrox squad.

Related Topics

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know

More in Academy